We are committed to recommending professional development programming to develop our employees both professionally and personally. We partner with UK Training and Development to offer a range of training solutions. We also work with the Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement leadership team to strategically source targeted training opportunities for the PAE staff.
UK Training & Development offers opportunities to meet individual training needs
Essential Leader Program - Essential Leader Program (ELP) has been created specifically for employees who want to become better leaders and learn key leadership skills. This program is open to all employees wanting to make the most of their changing job expectations as well as potential career opportunities. You do not have to be in a supervisory position to enroll in the program!
Experienced Leader Academy – Based on the book Leadership from the Inside Out by Kevin Cashman, this leadership program is designed for experienced leaders who want to grow and develop existing skills. Participants will attend a weekly breakfast session for eight consecutive weeks with other leaders from across the university. The cost of the eight-week course is $250, which includes your materials and a catered breakfast for each session.
SuperVision – University SuperVision is a mandatory training program designed by HR Training & Development to equip supervisors with the skills and knowledge to manage people and functions effectively at the University of Kentucky. At times, supervisors come into positions having already developed strong skills through formal education or experience. University SuperVision will build on that knowledge base by providing insight to the unique policies and procedures used at the University of Kentucky.
UK Business Procedures Certification Series - The Office of Finance and Administration, in cooperation with the Office of Human Resources, University Financial Services, Budget Office, Office of Legal Counsel, Internal Audit Office, and Enterprise Applications Group, created a University Business Procedures Certifications Series, which is offered to University of Kentucky Regular Full-time and Regular Part-time employees. There are three series: Finance, Human Resources, and Student Lifecycle Management.
Women’s Executive Leadership Development Program (WELD) – This annual program is designed to develop the next generation of UK leaders through retreats, monthly meetings, conversations with upper level administrators and a group project. The primary goal of WELD is to address the under-representation of women in academic leadership capacities and help aspiring women acquire the skills and capabilities to attain high-level academic leadership positions.
UK HR Technology Training – UK HR Training & Development offers technology and software training to all UK employees interested in lifelong learning – by doing. Guided by an instructor, you will get hands-on practice to learn new digital skills. All training experiences are designed to enhance the contributions technological advancements make to your work, your department and the University, to show you strategies and solutions for doing your job more successfully, to enable you to meet and engage with colleagues, and to provide ways to assist you as you advance professionally.
Lynda.com – Do you have a Lexington Public Library Card? If so, you can access Lynda for free. If you live in a surrounding county, you are eligible for a Lexington Public Library Card. Lynda.com is a leading online learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
Coursera – Did you know that Coursera offers free courses? They also offer certificate programs at a very affordable rate.
Employee Education Program
The Employee Education Program (EEP) is an opportunity funded by university resources that enables full-time UK employees to receive tuition waiver for UK coursework in order to further your career development, pursue other academic interests or build coursework for the foundation for career change or advancement. The EEP is not limited to the programs listed below.
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A) – The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a degree program offering a suite of competitive, nationally ranked programs designed to deliver a broader understanding of business strategies and insights through engaging real-world experiences, projects and meaningful virtual application.
- Master of Science in Higher Education (M.S.) – The Master of Science in Higher Education (HIED) is a degree program with options of focus in Higher Education Policy and Student Services. The program serves those contemplating careers in higher education or already working in a college or university, as well as those interested in pursuing the study of higher education at the doctoral level.
- Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.) - The MPA program offers a professional degree that prepares students for careers of leadership in public service as analysts and managers in the public, not-for-profit, and private sectors. Students enter the program with diverse academic backgrounds.
- Graduate Certificate in Fundraising & Development– The graduate certificate in Fundraising and Development is designed to provide critical fundraising education to those who are currently working or seeking employment in nonprofit organizations.
- Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management – The graduate certificate in Nonprofit Management is designed to provide skills to support graduate student and professionals in leading, directing and managing organizations in the nonprofit sector. The certificate benefits students seeking careers in the nonprofit sector, professionals currently working in the nonprofit sector, and government employees transitioning to the nonprofit sector.
- Graduate Certificate in Professional & Technical Writing (Online) – The graduate certificate in Professional & Technical Writing is designed for working professionals, this flexible online, graduate certificate will help you hone your technical writing skills whether you seek to write better grants or more compelling policy positions.
Academic Impressions – Every University of Kentucky Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement employee is a member of Academic Impressions. This includes access to professional development trainings and webinars designed specifically for Advancement staff.
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) – Every University of Kentucky Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement employee is a member of CASE. This includes access to discounted conference rates, books, benchmarking, and research.
Education Technology, Services and Research (EAB) – Every University of Kentucky Philanthropy & Alumni Engagement employee is a member of EAB. This includes access to research, insights, toolkits, and webinars available within the University’s institutional membership.
Certificate in Business Administration: Business Foundations – The Gatton College of Business & Economics offers this program to provide general knowledge and skills necessary to meet the challenges of today’s business world. Please note that this program is not part of the EEP program above.
UK Alumni Resources – UK Alumni Career Services (www.ukalumni.net/career) – Life and Active members of the UK Alumni Association are eligible for individual career counseling. Some additional career related programs, events and Job Club are offered for free.