About One Day For UK
Now in its second year, One Day for UK is a celebration of the University of Kentucky. For 24 hours, alumni, friends, faculty, staff, and fans are encouraged to support their favorite UK college, unit or cause and to spread the word about UK on social media. It is an opportunity to promote UK pride and benefit students, faculty, research, programs and initiatives across campus.
How To Use The Toolkit
The toolkit is a guide for rallying support and spreading the word about One Day for UK. Below, we have provided you key facts and information, downloadable images and documents, ideas for promoting the day and best practices for university giving days. If you have any questions or problems, please contact Meredith Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org or Lauren Eastep at email@example.com.
Keys To Success
Step 1: Explain the day
In all of your communications, mention that One Day for UK is a 24-hour giving day. We all have one day to make a big impact at UK. Encourage people to get involved, spread the word and support your unit. Don’t forget to hashtag all of your social media posts #OneDayforUK.
Step 2: Share your unit's story
All colleges, units and causes have designated funds targeting their key priorities. Explain why you chose that fund and how it will help. Mention unit highlights from the year, including how you are making an impact on students, research and the Commonwealth, and promote any matching gifts.
Step 3: Get Creative and Engage BBNfluencers
The pieces in this toolkit are just the start. You know the best way to reach your audience and to tell your story. Find influential alumni and friends to spread the word, BBNfluencers make One Day a success. Use the provided graphics and text and adapt it to your unit’s voice using unit-specific language, images and videos.
Step 4: Thank your supporters
Have a thank you graphic and text ready to post the day after giving day. Include your total in any follow-up emails, letters or stories in your newsletters and publications. Share UK Philanthropy and the University of Kentucky’s thank you messages. Express your gratitude throughout the day. We want our donors—alumni, faculty, staff, parents, friends and fans alike—to know we appreciate everything they do to make this day a success.
One Day for UK is a 24-hour day of giving where alumni, faculty, staff, parents, friends and fans can support their favorite college, cause or area. It is a day to celebrate the University of Kentucky’s achievements and to ensure the university’s future success. All gifts support our comprehensive campaign, Kentucky Can: The 21st Century Campaign, which increases opportunities for student success, funds innovative research, improves health care, strengthens the alumni network and enhances athletic programs.
We only have one day! Visit https://www.onedayforuk.uky.edu/ to track our progress and to make your gift.
Logos and QR Codes
Below are downloadable logos to use on your social media, in emails, publications and other communication vehicles.
QR Codes are one of the best options for mobile giving. Be sure to use the QR code below in your marketing materials to lead them to the One Day for UK website.
Want to customize your unit’s profile picture or cover photo for the big day? Download the templates and instructions below. Feel free to use the stock images as needed and reach out to our Communications staff if you need help!
Mailings and Emails
Annual Giving will be sending a solicitation and a save the date postcard to many UK supporters. Units participating in One Day for UK have a chance to send a unit-specific mail appeal and emails promoting One Day for UK. All mailings and emails should include One Day for UK boiler plate language and a reference to how One Day for UK is supporting Kentucky Can: The 21st Century Campaign. Mention your funds, the impact they will have and any matching gifts and direct all alumni and donors to make their gift at https://www.onedayforuk.uky.edu.
- View all mail guidelines here.
- Submit your data report request form by Friday, August 14 (www.ukalumni.net/reportrequest)
- The central philanthropy mail piece will be dropping the week of August 16-22. All unit mail pieces should be in the mail between August 23-September 5 in order to allow time for supporters to mail gifts back in.
- Reach out to the Annual Giving team should you have ANY questions about the process
- Reminder: Your unit/area is not required to do a mail piece, this is simply an option leading up to One Day for UK.
- View all email guidelines here.
- Submit your data report request form 10 business days in advance of email send date (include link to form)
- Compile your data, text (using boilerplate language provided by UK Philanthropy), and photo/email header
- Email header templates are available here
- Submit your Broadcast Email Request form 5 business days in advance of email send date, a separate form must be submitted for each email you would like to send (include link to form
Multimedia & Design
Faculty and Staff Giving
Promoting One Day for UK among the faculty and staff in your unit
UK could not run without the hard work and passion of its employees. We are grateful for all that faculty and staff do at UK. During One Day for UK faculty and staff can make a gift to any fund at the university—including funds outside the college or unit they work in. We want all our donors to give to areas and causes they care about—that includes our faculty and staff.
How Faculty and Staff Can Get Involved
- Make a gift
- Online: Faculty and staff can make a gift online before One Day for UK at uky.networkforgood.com (beginning Monday, August 17, indicated with a checkbox during the checkout process) or on One Day for UK (Wednesday, September 16)) at www.onedayforuk.uky.edu.
- Payroll Deduction Giving Form:UK Philanthropy has moved to a new and improved faculty and staff payroll deduction giving form- www.uky.edu/payrollgiving
The new payroll deduction gift form is designed with the user experience in mind. Faculty and staff will be able to sign on using their link blue id, give to any fund at the university, set up gifts to multiple funds, make a one-time gift or set up a recurring gift. All payroll gifts, from July-September, new and existing, will be counted toward the overall funds raised on One Day for UK. Preview the Payroll Deduction Giving Form below:
Home Page Add A New Deduction Confirmation-1 Confirmation-2 Confirmation Message
Modify Existing Deduction Confirmation Email
- Work with a UK Philanthropy Gift Officer to make a gift.
- Spread the word—become a BBNfluencer. Faculty and staff make excellent champions for your unit, they can sign up as a BBNfluencer to help promote One Day for UK on social media.
- Wear Blue on One Day for UK whether working on campus or at home/
- After the day it is important to thank your donors as well as show impact of their gift before the next One Day for UK.
- Central Philanthropy will be thanking all alumni, donors, faculty and staff on the day after giving day. They will thank all 2020 One Day for UK donors tentatively on the Thursday following the reveal of the final giving day numbers.
- As a unit you need to thank your alumni, donors, and faculty and staff the day after as well. You can do this using social media. There are thank you images within the unit toolkit you can utilize. You can also use the thank you images for thank you emails and thank you postcards. Please thank your donors in the method you feel is best.
- You will receive three reports during giving day as well as all the DDN’s from the day that will give you information about your donors for the day.
- Regarding faculty and staff donors, please thank them in a direct manner, a thank you email, a thank you note, or thank you call. Please do not thank them in a way that identifies them as giving and others have not.
Faculty and Staff FAQs
Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Faculty and Staff Giving initiative here.
Prepare for this year's challenges that will be taking place on One Day for UK and use them to your unit’s advantage. Click here to see all of this year's challenges.
BBNfluencers are our online ambassadors for One Day for UK. They help us spread the word and motivate others to get involved. Once a BBNfluencer signs up to participate, they receive a verification email, access to digital resources through onedayforuk.uky.edu site, and they can choose affiliations with the unit/cause/area they want to promote. We also track the BBNfluencers who are engaging the most people and generating the most gifts:
- Send your prospective BBNfluencers to Kentuckycan.uky.edu/BBNfluencers to signup
- For more tips on recruiting and making the most of your BBNfluencers, check out these slides
Unit-Specific Giving Links
To find your unit’s giving page link for use in unit-specific appeals and outreach, find it here.